Thought leadership is a hot topic right now, but it can get a little cloudy on what it really is. Peter shares examples of what thought leadership is, what it is not, and how you can get the most out of it through authentic connections and putting your stake in the ground.
Tips on making thought leadership work for you
- Thought leadership means you have the courage to say something meaningful, profound, and different from the norm. You know you’re doing something right when 20% of the population disagrees with you.
- A classic mistake thought leaders make — They don’t have a strategy. Thought leadership is a business at the end of the day.
- Want to be consistent in your thought leadership? Create an editorial calendar.
- Collaborate with experts who are also serving similar client demographics. They’re not really competitors!
- Consider writing a book. It is a great business card for your ideal client.
- The marketing strategies you do to put your work out there have to make sense for your ideal target market. Are your clients listening to radio? No? Then don’t do radio.
About Karen Tiber Leland, Social Media Strategist
Karen Tiber Leland is the founder of Sterling Marketing Group, a New York City branding, marketing, and color strategy and implementation firm helping CEOs, executives, and entrepreneurs develop stronger personal, business, and team brands. Her clients include Cisco, American Express, Marriott Hotels, Apple Computer, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
She is also the best-selling author of nine traditionally-published business books that have sold over 400,000 copies and been translated into 10 languages. Her most recent book is The Brand Mapping Strategy: Design, Build, and Accelerate Your Brand. She regularly writes for Inc.com and Entrepreneur.com and has had articles published in Self, The Los Angeles Times, American Way, The Boston Globe, and many others.
Karen has spoken for Harvard, The AMA, Direct Marketing Association, and Stanford, among others. She has been interviewed on The Today Show, CNN, CNBC, and Oprah.
Get in touch with Karen on Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook
About Our Guest
Peter Winick is the founder and CEO of Thought Leadership Leverage. For the past two decades he has helped individuals and organizations build and grow revenue streams through designing and growing their thought leadership platforms as well as acting as a guide and advisor for increasing business to business sales of thought leadership products.
His clients come from a diverse set of backgrounds and specialties. They include New York Times bestselling business book authors, members of the Speakers’ Hall of Fame, recipients of the Thinkers50 award, CEOs of public and privately held companies, and academics at prestigious institutions such as Yale, Wharton, Dartmouth, and London School of Business.
Resources for Social Media Strategy, Brand Strategy, Personal Brand, CEO Branding and Marketing Strategy
At SMG we serve clients across the United States, Europe, and Asia. Currently, we have 3 onsite locations:
- Looking For a New York City Brand Strategist or Social Media Specialist? Book a Consult
- Want a Business Brand Strategy Session in Austin, Texas? Book a Consult
- Need Some Help with CEO or Personal Branding San Francisco Bay Area? Book a Consult