I often get called by CEOs who are interested in the added value of having a CEO brand that is separate from – but connected to – their businesses. In today’s Thought Talk podcast, I’ll be discussing the three biggest mistakes I see when it comes to CEO branding as well as the three thought leadership categories CEOs sort into when it comes to their personal brands.
Tips for better CEO branding
- CEO branding can’t be done as a transactional relationship. You can’t delegate the crafting of it to a marketing director. It requires your direct participation and engagement.
- CEO branding isn’t just PR — It requires not only reputation management, but also thought leadership, content marketing strategy, and last but not at all least, executive presence.
- It takes work and effort, but not necessarily a great deal of time. Don’t underestimate its value, and don’t let your CEO brand be decided by default.
About Karen Tiber Leland, CEO Brand Strategist
Karen Tiber Leland is the founder of Sterling Marketing Group, a New York City branding, marketing, and color strategy and implementation firm helping CEOs, executives, and entrepreneurs develop stronger personal, business, and team brands. Her clients include Cisco, American Express, Marriott Hotels, Apple Computer, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
She is also the best-selling author of nine traditionally-published business books that have sold over 400,000 copies and been translated into 10 languages. Her most recent book is The Brand Mapping Strategy: Design, Build, and Accelerate Your Brand. She regularly writes for Inc.com and Entrepreneur.com and has had articles published in Self, The Los Angeles Times, American Way, The Boston Globe, and many others.
Karen has spoken for Harvard, The AMA, Direct Marketing Association, and Stanford, among others. She has been interviewed on The Today Show, CNN, CNBC, and Oprah.
Get in touch with Karen on Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook
Resources for Brand Strategy, Personal Brand, CEO Branding and Marketing Strategy
At SMG we serve clients across the United States, Europe, and Asia. Currently, we have 3 onsite locations:
- Looking For a New York City Brand Strategist or Social Media Specialist? Book a Consult
- Want a Business Brand Strategy Session in Austin, Texas? Book a Consult
- Need Some Help with CEO or Personal Branding San Francisco Bay Area? Book a Consult